The number of cases from the new coronavirus has topped 100,000 worldwide as official Chinese data showed a big hit to the country’s exports after the outbreak caused massive disruptions to business operations and economic activity.
The World Health Organization (WHO) called the spread of the virus “deeply concerning” as a wave of states reported on Saturday their first cases of the COVID-19 disease, which has now killed nearly 3,500 people and infected quite 100,000 across 92 nations and territories.
In Republic of Korea, authorities reported many new cases of infections on Saturday, bringing the overall above 7,000, while the u. s. was battling to contain a scourge on the Grand Princess liner where 21 people have tested positive for the virus.
Saturday, March 7
17:30 GMT – Number of coronavirus deaths and cases rise in Italy
The price from a scourge of coronavirus in Italy bogged down, but the overall number of cases within the country leapt by over 1,200, the Civil Protection Agency said.
Deaths thanks to the infectious virus were up 36 to 233, the pinnacle of the agency, Angelo Borrelli, said in an exceedingly group discussion. They were up 49 on Friday, within the biggest rise since the outbreak of the illness in Italy.
The total number of cases within the country was up to five,883 compared to 4,636 announced on Friday, showing that contagion shows no sign of slowing down.
16:36 GMT – Coronavirus spreads in French parliament
A second member of France’s National Assembly has been taken to hospital after contracting coronavirus and five other lawmakers are being tested for the illness, the lower house’s presidency said in an exceedingly statement.
The Assembly failed to name the 2 legislators who have caught the disease but local media within the eastern region of Alsace have reported that the primary of the 2 MPs is Jean-Luc Reitzer, who represents one in every of the departments most stricken by the outbreak and is currently under medical care.
The second may be a woman, in keeping with the statement by the parliament.
15:46 GMT – Number of coronavirus cases in Germany jumps to 684
The number of coronavirus patients in Germany jumped to 684, concernedly growing at the economic impact of the spreading epidemic on one in every of the world’s most trade-dependent economies.
The number of patients recorded by the Robert Koch Institute had risen by 45, with large clusters within the west and south, where one initial outbreak centred on a car supplier with a unit in Wuhan, where the infection was first detected.
The total is quite 10 times larger than it absolutely was every week ago. there have been 66 cases in bissextile day.
15:30 GMT – Scores trapped as hotel used for quarantine collapses in China
Approximately 70 people were trapped in an exceedingly collapsed hotel within the city of Quanzhou, in southeastern Fujian province, town government said on its website.
The collapsed hotel is employed for coronavirus quarantine, in keeping with the official People’s Daily. Twenty-three people were rescued, town government said.
GMT 14:34 – Number of UK coronavirus cases rises to 206
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases within the uk has risen to 206, an increase of 43, British health officials said.
So far in Britain, two patients who had confirmed positive for the virus have died, the health ministry and therefore the Public Health England agency said.
12:45 GMT – Pope to deliver Sunday prayer by livestream
Pope Francis has cancelled his main public appearances to avoid crowds gathering to determine him and can stream them on the net from inside the Vatican due to the coronavirus outbreak in Italy.
The Vatican said the pope wouldn’t address crowds from a window overlooking St Peter’s Square and wouldn’t hold his general audience there either on Wednesday.
They will be held without general public participation from inside the Vatican.
The 83-year-old pope cancelled a Lent retreat for the primary time in his papacy, but the Vatican has said he’s suffering only from a chilly that’s “without symptoms associated with other pathologies”.
12:30 GMT – ‘I ain’t playing’ with no fans: NBA player
Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James said he won’t fancy the court if the NBA bars fans from attending games to limit the spread of the coronavirus.
American media reported that the NBA had sent a memo to groups detailing the requirement for contingency plans just in case it becomes necessary to play games with only essential staff present.
“Play games without the fans? No, that’s impossible. I ain’t playing,” James told reporters after the Lakers beat the Milwaukee Bucks 113-103 on Friday to clinch a playoff berth.
“That’s who I play for. I play for my team-mates, I play for the fans, that is what it’s all about. If I show up to an arena and there are not any fans in there, I ain’t playing. they will do what they require to try to to,” added the 35-year-old James, who is widely thought to be one in every of the most effective basketball players of all time.
12:15 GMT – Leader of Italy’s co-ruling party tests positive
Nicola Zingaretti, the leader of Italy’s co-ruling party, is that the latest person to possess tested positive for coronavirus in Europe’s hardest-hit country.
“I have coronavirus too,” Zingaretti said in an exceedingly video posted on Facebook, adding he was in self-isolation reception.
The 54-year-old said he was well, adding that every one the people he had been interacting with in recent days were being contacted for tests.
“No panic,” the leftish leader added. “I’ll give the great example following doctors’ instruction by engaging from home. I’m fighting for every people and for the full country,” he said.
With 4,636 registered cases, Italy is behind only China, Republic of Korea and Iran in terms of the amount of infected people.
11:45 GMT – Second case in African nation
South Africa has found a second case of the new coronavirus, in keeping with the health ministry.
The latest patient may be a 39-year-old woman from the northern province of Gauteng who was up-to-date with the country’s first case from KwaZulu-Natal, a coastal province of the south.
She was a part of a gaggle that travelled to Italy, in keeping with a press release by the ministry, which assured that the whereabouts of the opposite members of the group are found which they need all been tested.
Authorities are currently awaiting the results.
11:20 GMT – First Cambodian tests positive
Cambodia has confirmed its second case of coronavirus: a 38-year-old man who had direct contact with a Japanese visitor who later tested positive for the virus.
Health ministry spokesman Or Vandin told reporters that the japanese man had left Cambodia from Siem Reap, near the traditional Angkor Wat temple, one in every of the region’s top tourist attractions.
Cambodia had earlier reported an outbreak infection in an exceedingly Chinese man. He recovered and went home.
11:00 GMT – First case in Malta
A 12-year-old Italian girl becomes Malta’s first case of coronavirus. The girl, who lives within the Mediterranean island, is currently receiving treatment within the infectious diseases unit of the state hospital, said Health Minister Chris Fearne.
She returned in late February from the northern province of Trentino, passing through Italy’s capital Rome along with her parents and sister.
The family self-quarantined as instructed, but the girl began to experience symptoms. She was tested on Friday and results came back positive on Saturday morning.
10:45 GMT – Iran price jumps to 145
Over the past 24 hours, Iran has registered 21 more deaths thanks to the coronavirus, bringing the overall to 145.
A health ministry official also said the people testing positive for the virus had risen to five,823.
10:31 GMT – Vietnam records new cases
Following a swift response by authorities in Vietnam, where the primary 16 those that tested positive for the coronavirus fully recovered, the country has now registered two more cases.
The Ministry of Health confirmed on Saturday that a 27-year-old patient who had been to the South Korean city of Daegu, returned to Vietnam on a Vietject flight on Wednesday and was quarantined upon his landing.
On Friday, authorities reported the country’s first case in three weeks after a lady, 26, returned to Vietnam’s capital, Hanoi, from Europe.
Police are now within the process of verifying the 201 passengers and 16 crew members on board the 26-year-old woman’s flight. All the streets within the area where the girl lives are closed and disinfected.
09:38 GMT – Maldivian islands locked down
Three islands within the Maldives are locked down after several foreign nationals were feared to possess contracted the new coronavirus, in keeping with health officials.
Two tourists from Italy were staying on Kuredu resort, an island off the capital, Male, and were thanks to be shifted to a quarantine facility for treatment. Summer Island in Kaafu Atoll was also placed in lockdown after two French tourists showed symptoms.
Thinadhoo island was also in lockdown after it became known that an Italian tourist who stayed there tested positive after returning home. A doctor functioning on the island has also shown symptoms of the virus and was transferred to a quarantine facility.
Maldivian President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih on Friday decided to ban all passengers from Italy moreover as people who travelled to the ecu country within the past 14 days.
08:53 GMT – Iranian MP dies: Tasnim
Fatemeh Rahbar, who was recently re-elected as a member of Iran’s parliament, has died from the new coronavirus, in keeping with Tasnim press agency.
The semi-official press agency said Rahbar, 55, had spent two days in an exceedingly coma in an exceedingly hospital within the capital, Tehran.
08:23 GMT – Republic of Korea reports 274 new cases
The total number of individuals infected in Republic of Korea has risen to 7,041, because the country confirmed 274 more cases.
The announcement came hours after South Korean authorities reported 483 new cases of infections.
08:11 GMT – Philippines confirms community transmission
The health ministry of the Philippines said it had confirmed its first case of community transmission for the new coronavirus, prompting officials to turn the president to declare a public health emergency to contain its spread.
The case involves a 62-year-old male Filipino who had not travelled abroad recently. His 59-year-old wife has also been infected, bringing the amount of confirmed cases within the country to 6, the health ministry said, adding that both are being treated at a government hospital.
The health ministry declared a code qui vive which calls on medical professionals to be prepared to report for duty and recommended that President Rodrigo Duterte declare a public health emergency to assist with the procurement of critical supplies moreover like quarantine measures.
“This may be a pre-emptive call to make sure that national and native governments and public and personal healthcare providers can inure possible increase in suspected and confirmed cases,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque told reporters.
07:56 GMT – Qatar reports 12th case
Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health announced the country’s 12th case: a Qatari citizen who returned from Iran recently who was subjected to quarantine upon his arrival.
The patient is in stable condition, the ministry said in an exceedingly statement, adding that the infected person “has not had contact with community members since his arrival”.
“The risk of outbreaks of the disease within the wider community in Qatar continues to be low,” the statement noted.
07:34 GMT – China trade takes major hit
China’s exports fell by double digits within the first two months of the year as anti-virus controls closed factories, while imports sank by a smaller margin.
Overseas shipments tumbled 17.2 percent from a year earlier to $292.4bn, a pointy reverse from December’s 7.8 percent rise, customs data showed. Imports declined 4 percent to $299.5bn, down from the previous month’s 16.3 percent gain.
Trade was poised for a lift after Beijing and Washington removed punitive tariffs on a number of each other’s goods in an exceedingly trade truce signed in January. But that was offset by Chinese anti-virus controls that finish off much of the world’s second-largest economy in late January.
Exports to the US plunged 27.7 percent in January and February to $43bn, worsening from December’s 12.5 percent decline. Imports people goods crept up 2.5 percent to $17.6bn, but China still recorded a $25.4bn trade surplus with the US.
China’s global balance fell to a $7.1bn deficit for the primary two months of the year.
07:15 GMT – US tourist is Costa Rica’s first coronavirus case
A US tourist on a visit to Central American country has tested positive for the coronavirus, the primary confirmed case in Central America, the country’s health minister announced.
The 49-year-old woman had contracted the virus before entering the country on March 1, Health Minister Daniel Salas said, in keeping with the AFP press agency.
The woman is currently “in strict isolation” in an exceedingly hotel within the capital San Jose along with her husband, who Salas said had contact with people in the big apple who had tested positive for the virus.
“The man has not manifested symptoms. the girl has, but they’re very mild flu symptoms, diarrhoea and abdominal pain,” the minister told a group discussion hosted jointly with President Carlos Alvarado.
04:00 GMT – Two dead in Florida
Florida health officials announced that two those that tested positive for the new coronavirus have died.
The Florida Department of Health said the patients were in their 70s and had travelled overseas.
One was a person with underlying health issues in Santa Rosa County, in Florida’s Panhandle, in keeping with the statement. It added that the second death was that of an elderly person in Lee County, within the Fort Myers area.
The statement failed to indicate where the 2 had travelled.
As of Friday, Florida authorities said seven people within the state have tested positive for coronavirus.
02:54 GMT – US raises travel alert levels for Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan
The US State Department has raised its alert level for travel Azerbaijan, warning Americans to reconsider travel there thanks to a coronavirus outbreak and response measures implemented by the country’s government.
The State Department also raised its alert level for travel Turkmenistan thanks to travel restrictions and quarantine procedures instituted in response to the virus.
Neither country has reported many cases but both border Iran, which has been hard hit by the coronavirus.
The State Department slapped a travel advisory warning on Iran last month, urging Americans to not travel the country.
02:25 GMT – S Korea confirms 483 new coronavirus cases
South Korea on Saturday reported 483 additional coronavirus cases from late on Friday, taking the national tally to six,767, Yonhap press agency quoted the Korea Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (KCDC) as saying.
The price also rose to 46 from 44, Kwon Jun-wook, the KCDC deputy director, told a rendezvous.
Most of the cases of infections were traced from a spiritual sect in Daegu, a city of two.5 million people.
01:38 GMT – 2 US health screeners at LAX positive for coronavirus
Two federal health screeners at la International Airport have tested positive for the coronavirus, in keeping with an email sent to their colleagues late on Friday, Reuters reported on Saturday.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention employees were conducting a secondary screening of passengers returning from overseas, including from China, and are directed to self-quarantine until March 17, the e-mail said.
“At now, we cannot confirm where these two screeners were exposed,” said the e-mail, which was sent by a senior CDC official.
“Let us keep our colleagues in our thoughts during this era.”
00:56 GMT – Two AIPAC conference attendees test positive for coronavirus
The American Israel Public Affairs Committee lobbying group, also called AIPAC, reported late on Friday that two attendees of its recent conference in Washington, DC, have tested positive for the coronavirus.
The group earlier in the week hosted a conference attended by vp Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and former the big apple Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
00:22 GMT – China reports 28 new deaths, 99 new confirmed cases
China’s National Health Commission reported on Saturday a minimum of 28 new coronavirus deaths as of the tip of Friday, taking the nationwide price to three,070.
The government also reported 99 new confirmed cases on March 6, down from 143 the previous day, with a complete of 80,651 cases nationwide. Most of the new cases and deaths were from Hubei, the epicentre of the outbreak in China.
Meanwhile, on Friday, China’s health agency reported that a minimum of 53,726 people are discharged from hospitals after recovery.
23:17 GMT Friday – G20 pledges monetary actions in coronavirus response
G20 finance ministers and financial organization governors on Friday pledged to require “appropriate” fiscal and monetary measures in responding to the coronavirus outbreak and to shield economic process against shocks, in keeping with Reuters.
In a joint statement issued by G20 chair Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the ministers, who met in Riyadh last month, said they welcomed measures and plans already recommend by countries to support economic activity.
“We are able to take further actions, including fiscal and monetary measures, as appropriate, to assist within the response to the virus, support the economy during this phase and maintain the resilience of the national economy,” the group said.
22:13 GMT – Second coronavirus death confirmed in England
A second patient in England who tested positive for coronavirus has died, the United Kingdom’s Chief medical practitioner Chris Whitty confirmed. The patient was being treated at Milton Keynes University Hospital and had underlying health conditions.
22:05 GMT – South by Southwest cancelled
The city of Austin within the US has cancelled the March dates for SXSW, or South by Southwest, and SXSW EDU.
“We are devastated to share this news with you. ‘The show must go on’ is in our DNA, and this is often the primary time in 34 years that the March event won’t occur. We are now working through the ramifications of this unprecedented situation,” organisers said.
The event, held in Texas, is one in every of the world’s biggest international music festivals and showcases talent from dozens of states, styles and traditions.
In 2019, quite 400,000 people attended the festival.